Crinan Canal Basin, Argyll, Scotland
Crinan is the western end of a nine mile canal opened in 1801. Designed to create a short cut for small inland steam ships, ‘The Clyde Puffers” and for Fishing Vessels. linking the Clyde (and Glasgow) with the North West Coast of Scotland and the Hebridean Islands. Time saved, and the possible trauma, of navigating the often turbulent and exposed Mull of Kintyre were a vital bonus.
The Crinan canal cuts a scenic route from Lochgilphead, on Loch Gilp in the east, to Crinan. It is here by the means of sea locks, that the traffic along the canal regains open water into Loch Crinan and the Sound of Jura, then onwards to the Isles. Whilst today the ‘Puffers’ are gone, fishing vessels still use the route. However it is Leisure Craft that are todays prime users.
It is also a great little tourist spot for visitors to this part of Argyll and Bute. Lovely on a sunny day, even rather Mediterranean ….. it would have been a busy, noisy, smoky world in its heydays.
Please Remember ….
Stay Safe …. Be Kind…. Look After Each Other
(C) David Oakes 2020