St. Cynog Church, Llangynog, Wales
St. Cynog can be found in the Tanat Valley in the Berwyn Mountains, Powys, Wales. The village of Llangynog is at the point where the rivers Eirth and Tanat meet.
Today Llangynog is a quiet community, a small village surrounded by Hill Farms. It is also surrounded by the ghosts of once very busy Slate Mines and Quarries. Remains of this industrial heritage can still be seen on the surround hill sides and along the neighbouring valley’s.
St. Cynog dates back to 1254, with rebuilds at various times between then, and the last refurbishment in 1894. Carved stone windows and a porch entrance and its carved stone pillars, add character to what could have been a plain stone building. Carved wood beams support the roof, but also add something special to an otherwise simple interior. Outside the Graveyard with its many slate headstones confirms its links to the local heritage…. and no doubt the Bell Tower will have sounded both solemn events as well as happier times for the village
As with so many Welsh villages, the church was once the centre of the community, Sunday Service a must, in fact considered a duty by many. Today with the community shrinking in size St. Cynog is no longer the ‘Parish’ Church’. It is though kept open, kept alive, as what is known as a Pilgrims Church available for travellers. It still has an important religious role. A programme of services is held at various intervals through the year, it is still used for weddings and funerals. Perhaps what is equally important , that as a Pilgrim Church, it is still a centre point for the community… far better than closure and standing empty.
Please Remember ….
Stay Safe …. Be Kind…. Look After Each Other
(C) David Oakes 2021