Tewkesbury Abbey, Gloucestershire
The Abbey Church of St. Mary the Virgin is the buildings official name today…… but will always be known as Tewkesbury Abbey. It was once a Benedictine Monastery, dating back to the 12th century. Like so many of our old religious buildings it was built on a even earlier site of religious worship.
Tewkesbury Abbey is a fine example of Norman Architecture, in particular the Cross Transept Tower is claimed to be the biggest in Europe. With Tewkesbury standing on the flood plain of Severn and Avon, its tall tower is a clear landmark for many miles.
Like all our old religious buildings Tewkesbury Abbey has seen some violent and testing times over the centuries. During the “War of The Roses” ( 1455 -1487) witnessed this violent period of English history at close hand. After the Battle of Tewkesbury in 1471 the Abbey provided sanctuary for the Lancastrian forces. Then it had to overcome the challenges of the Dissolution of the Monasteries that occurred by Royal Order between 1536 & 41. It was at this time that the Abbey became the Parish Church.
Apart from being the Parish Church, Tewkesbury Abbey is also a major tourist attraction, the centre of a equally attractive Town in an equally attractive location. Tewkesbury nestles below the higher ground of the Cotswolds and Gloucestershire’s rather fabulous countryside.
Please Remember ….
Stay Safe …. Be Kind…. Look After Each Other
(C) David Oakes 2020